How do we find more time to Run and Write?
Sleep less! Nope.
To write more, and to run more, we need to Sleep more. This may go against the grain of finding the time, but let’s look at how sleeping more will help you run and write more.
According to the National Sleep Foundation, more than 40 percent of adults experience daytime sleepiness severe enough to interfere with their daily activities at least a few days each month – with 20 percent reporting problem sleepiness a few days a week or more.
Those daily activities would include running and writing.
In a Running Times article by Kevin Beck, entitled A Good Night’s Rest, he relates,
“To an endurance athlete, lack of sleep is a dual-edged psychological sword. On one hand, if you know or believe you aren’t getting enough rest, you’ll have one more piece of mental baggage to carry around the course. On the other, sleep deprivation is known to have subtle but relentless effects on mood and motivation, both of which factor heavily into attaining top performance.”
When your tired, do you want to run?
When you need a nap, are you going to feel like writing?
Finding time to write and run often involves staying up after every one else has gone to bed, or waking up before the sun.
So how do we make sure we are getting the sleep we need?
Tips to sleep better and longer:
- Commit to a regular bedtime. Just like your running and writing, schedule in your sleep time and stick with that schedule.
- Limit Stress. Relax by reading, taking a hot bath or just thinking. Give yourself an hour to wind down and not do high stress thinking or activities.
- Exercise. Avoid working out right before bed, instead, do some stretching.
- Create your Cove. Make your room a haven. Make it as comfortable as possible and try not to work or pay bills in the bedroom. It is where you relax
- Avoid Caffeine. Even if caffeine doesn’t keep you up, it can affect the quality of your sleep. So avoid all caffeine 6 to 8 hours before sleeping.
Do you feel a lack of sleep affects your running and writing?
How do assure you get enough sleep?